Culture

Clip of the week : Que Hora Es?

Clip of the week

‘Que Hora Es?’

Only (about) a month until Cinco de Mayo, baby! For those who remember about 12 words in Spanish, this is the video for you. ‘Que hora es?’ combines all that is good about foreign cultures and language.

Similar to bilingual YouTube friends like ‘One Semester of Spanish, Spanish Love Song’ and ’10 Things to Say in Spanish to Pick a Girl Up,’ this gem is three minutes of gripping drama. It is set up like a soap opera, complete with infidelity, hookups and really awkward acting.

‘Que hora es?’ is set up like a soap – complete with semi-glossy film quality and sweetly tragic music. A love triangle has gone bad – or something like that – and daggers are thrown. This video isn’t suitable for those who consider the following phrases offensive: macarena, tacos or the numbers dos, tres, cuatro or seis.

Have no fear – if you start getting really confused, either as to who is in love with whom or what they are actually saying – a lone eye-patched man saves the day. It is then the format of the soap becomes clear and the failures of would-be-Spanish speakers are made known to the world.

If a mix of sort-of Spanish phrases and a grouping of various ethnicities speaking at a third grade Spanish level don’t make this video, then it’s definitely the laugh track.

akalliso@syr.edu