Best Week Ever: Sitting ducks, police reports and beefing up the team

1. G-Rob gets the pink slip

After months of speculation, random cheers of ‘Fire G-Rob’ during field hockey games, and many curse words thrown at Daryl Gross, Greg Robinson was fired on Sunday afternoon. But, the timing still bothers SU football fans. At the very end of the season he gets walking papers but is still coaching the last two games? How awkward is that? Standing there, knowing that nobody wants you there. Well, I suppose that’s how his entire season was, huh? Hey, what do Greg Robinson and George W. Bush have in common? Lame ducks.

2. Student organizations take a pay cut

At the Student Association meeting on Tuesday, a few student clubs got the short end of the stick when it came to the SA budget. While some organizations such Jerk magazine got almost all they requested, many minority groups got the ax for reasons such as ‘not generating enough interest on campus.’ OK, the whole idea of a minority group is that it attracts a minority of the student body. If all the groups are supposed to be the same to get funding, why have different groups in the first place? Talk about drawing the lines of separation.

3. White coat syndrome

Cough, I’ve had body aches and a fever for two weeks, but I hate going to the doctor – how about I look up my symptoms on the Internet? For all the people who hate surprises, especially medical surprises, WebMD is a way to get a quick prognosis. It seems this doesn’t hinder people from going to the doctor; in fact, WebMD is a way to get people moving. I mean, if some source online says ‘seek medical attention immediately,’ what other motivation do you need?

4. The Dream Team

Obama has been elected, so now it’s time to create a great team of cabinet members to accompany him. So far, he’s spitting out the big names – Tom Daschle as secretary of health, and there’s talk of H. Clinton as secretary of state. With names like that on his side, this group could be as great as the 1996 USA Women’s Gymnastics team, I mean Dominique Dawes, Kerri Shrugg … it brings tears to my eyes.

5. DevendorfSU men’s basketball player Eric Devendorf was accused of punching a female student in the face, as if SU athletics needed more bad press. The female student claims that there were four more people involved, but that wasn’t in the police report, and although the summons application was issued for Devendorf’s arrest on Nov. 1, he was free to play basketball and make headlines Tuesday night. If this story gets any more complicated, we’re going to have to draw a storyboard.

Kaoutram@syr.edu