Life of the party:Block Party delivers two high energy sets creating a two-for-one special at the Dome

Block Party 2009 resembled a double feature movie. Entertained by two headliners, audience members got multiple shows in one sitting.

Co-headlining this year’s University Union Block Party, Guster and Ben Folds rocked the Carrier Dome despite claims that the bands were not relevant to today’s music tastes.

‘I understood why people were upset,’ said Sarah Zuckerman, a sophomore biology major. ‘People want the big names that are on the radio.’

Usually known for its hip-hop acts, Block Party took a different route this year by bringing alternative bands to the Carrier Dome Sunday night. The show also opened with Hotel Lights, a coffee shop-sounding band led by Darren Jessee, a former member of Ben Folds Five.

Although Hotel Lights was a risky opener, as it was calmer and didn’t seem to get the audience hyped, it still did the trick of setting the mood for the show.

During the main acts, both Guster and Ben Folds experimented with genres from hip-hop to disco, keeping audience members on their feet throughout the entire concert.

Zukerman said the difference between Fergie’s performance at last year’s Block Party and this year’s concert was that this year’s was more musical. All acts relied on their talent with instruments to guide the show. Drummer Brian Rosenworcel played the bongos and drums with his bare hands, striking each one with energy – and it didn’t look like it hurt one bit.

Guster stayed upbeat, while Ben Folds flowed between slower-paced songs and more up-tempo numbers. Together, the two played a solid show.

‘It was really good, I’m glad that they brought them here,’ said Ryan Murray, a senior finance major. ‘I had high expectations for Ben Folds and they were fulfilled, I also had high expectations for Guster but they really impressed me.’

kaoutram@syr.edu