cancer

Students, alumni raise $153,000 for cancer research

Ten years ago, David Aitken lost his mother to lung cancer before his children had a chance to meet her.

In memory of their late grandmother, Aitken’s children helped their dad set up a tent with the banner “Honoring Marilyn ‘Nana’ Aitken” and a fundraising stand called “Coloring for Cancer.”

“Everyone – whether it’s a relative, neighbor, co-worker – has been affected by cancer,” said Aitken, a Class of 1994 Syracuse University alumnus.

Aitken and his family were a part of nearly 200 teams and 1,500 people who attended Relay for Life on Saturday in the Carrier Dome to raise money for cancer research and patients. Relay for Life started Saturday evening at 6 p.m. and lasted 12 hours. Though people could leave when they wanted, they were encouraged to stay until the event ended at 6 a.m. and were kept entertained with performances, movies, the Survivor Lap, on-site fundraising activities and the Luminaria ceremony.

Megan Woods, publicity chair of Relay for Life, said SU raised $133,000 in online donations before the event started. By the end, she said they raised a total of $153,000. Though the goal was to reach $200,000, Woods said it is still attainable because people can continue to make donations online. Last year, SU raised $130,000.

Sarah Mack, a member of the “Orange You Grad?” team, which consisted of graduate students from SU, said she had been involved in Relay for Life in previous years and saw it as a chance to have a night away from classwork, to relax and to reconnect with her friends while supporting a good cause.

“It’s a great opportunity for people to come together for a common cause,” Mack said.

Many people participated in the Survivor Lap, which lasted almost the entire 12 hours. Participants walked around the Dome to give hope to victims of cancer and to encourage them to keep fighting.

Most teams also participated in an on-site fundraiser.

Members of SU Breakdance found a way to raise money by doing what they loved and gave out break-dancing lessons for $1.

“It’s great that our passion can be used for a good cause,” said Jon Shih, a freshman computer art major.

This was only their first year participating in Relay for Life, but members said they would participate again next year to “break for a cure.”

Other teams raffled an HDTV, offered manicures, created a jousting stage, painted faces and sold wristbands.

At 10 p.m., the on-site fundraisers were briefly paused for the Luminaria Ceremony, which lasted one hour. Nearly all of the participants walked around the Dome as they watched the words ‘HOPE’ and ‘CURE’ light up on opposite ends of the stadium.

Luminaria bags, which were decorated with the names of loved ones who have been diagnosed with or died from cancer, were placed around the edge of the Dome.

Those who were not walking were honoring their loved ones as they sat or stood near their Luminaria bags. Some hugged each other for support, others cried and a few prayed for their loved ones.

While participants walked around the Dome or stayed by their bags during the Luminaria Ceremony, coordinators read hundreds of names of people who have had or died from cancer.

Woods said Relay for Life not only helps raise money for cancer, but it can also have an effect on the attendees.

“Even if they don’t realize they weren’t affected by cancer, they can go to Relay to realize that,” Woods said. “These individual people have made such a difference in someone’s life.”