Don’t sweat it: Finding the right campus gym can be tricky, you just have to know what to look for

Syracuse University sure likes to stay in shape. With more equipment at Goldstein Fitness Center on South Campus and the still-fresh Ernie Davis Hall Fitness Center on Main Campus, it’s easier than ever to lock and load the guns around campus. The only exercise issue for workout newbies is, ‘Where should I start?’

Going to the gym for the first time can be a scary and embarrassing experience. Walking into a stuffy room in which people ‘in the zone’ sweat away on daunting machines can be intimidating for the first-time exerciser. Fumbling with the emergency clip on the treadmill while feeling the sweat fly off the person on the next machine is nothing short of scarring. Not to mention gross. To prevent pre-workout trauma from ever happening again, here is a rundown of the Main Campus fitness centers and good places to start.

‘Best place for beginners’
Marion Fitness Center 
The Marion Fitness Center is the best for someone just starting to work out. Since it is a smaller space with lower weight machines, it’s the perfect place to get motivated. Also, not having other people around takes a lot of the first-time pressures away. This gym, unlike others, constantly keeps the radio on. So even if you don’t remember an iPod, you can still have a good soundtrack for the work ahead. The gym’s central location on campus should be accessible for anyone living on or near Main Campus. 

‘In the zone’ 
Brockway Fitness Center
Brockway seems to be designed for both extremes of people: the seasoned workout veteran and the scrawny beginner. The privacy and remoteness of the location is good for people who don’t want their gym virginity exposed. But it is also good for anyone who wants to stay focused on his or her workout. The facility also feels a little more relaxed because there isn’t an employee from Recreation Services to swipe an ID card. Students just sign themselves in. On the downside, Brockway’s treadmills and the free weights are in two different rooms. Moving between them can interrupt the exercise flow and is just annoying. 

‘Place to use your best pick-up lines’
Marshall Square Mall Fitness Center
Walk into the gym, look to the right and what do you see? Hordes of females working out on treadmills and elliptical machines. This gym, which opened in August 2007, has seven flat-screen televisions and had the most comfortable temperature out of all the gyms. The gym has a lot of floor space to exercise with workout balls. A set of stairs also separates weightlifting from the machines, so if it’s your first time on a treadmill, there’s no need to get intimidated by the person benching 250 pounds. 

‘Old Faithful’
Archbold and Flanagan Gymnasium
Even at 7 a.m., Archbold is packed with students and faculty members hoping to get a quick workout in before class. While the temperature often feels much hotter than average and the equipment is older, the real pull of Archbold is the fact that it’s the gym on campus. It opens the earliest, and the fact that it shares the building with the rest of Archbold and Flanagan Gym, opens a lot of doors. If running on the treadmill or lifting weights isn’t your thing, there are also basketball courts, dance studios and even a pool as workout alternatives. These options definitely break the monotony of a traditional 10-set, three repetition lifting regimen. 

‘Workout without the workout’
Women’s Building
Unless you live on the Mount, there really is no reason to venture to the Women’s Building to use its fitness center. It has all the trimmings of Archbold, but the hike up to the Mount may get you hot and sweaty before you even pick up a dumbbell. With five other gyms below, the Women’s Building isn’t really worth it. At least it’s convenient for those living in Flint and Day Halls. 

‘The future’
Ernie Davis Fitness Center
Who doesn’t want to work out in a new gym with iPod-friendly treadmills, large glass windows and an impressive collection of workout balls? At the same time, who wants to stand in a packed area waiting for a machine? The newness of Ernie Davis is a blessing and a curse. The equipment is great, but everyone wants to use it. That toss up can be frustrating for someone who just wants to work out and not gawk at the shiny new toys. Ernie Davis’ location is prime for students living off campus, and the adjacent studio is nice for personal exercises or dancing. Just try to resist the urge for a post-workout cookie in the dining hall.