Culture

Pit stop: Erie Boulevard offers perfect solutions for any appetite

Beyond Marshall Street, Erie Boulevard is filled with a ton of great places to eat. But in uncharted territory, it can be tricky to know which restaurant is best for a date and which one you’d rather bring a study group to. We’ve got you covered. Read on for a complete guide to the best of Erie’s eateries.

Group date

Koto Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar

2841 Erie Blvd. East

Syracuse, N.Y. 13224-1303

315-445-5686

Nothing gets people in a social mood like watching men twirl knives while making a volcano erupt out of onions and oil. With creative cooking techniques and large tables that accommodate up to eight people, Koto Japanese Steakhouse is a great option when eating out with a group of friends. The menu offers all kinds of specials, from sushi to chicken teriyaki. The open atmosphere allows you to see how everything is prepared, which adds an extra entertainment factor. A definite highlight is when the cook goes around the table trying to toss bits of zucchini in everyone’s mouth. Points if you can catch it, but it’s always funnier to watch someone get pegged in the face with a vegetable. The food comes out in shifts so that once the cook has begun, you’re eating at a steady pace instead of waiting for food to arrive. Watch out though: The servings are huge, so bring an appetite, or that friend who cleans everyone else’s plate. Koto fosters a great atmosphere that keeps everyone talking and any awkward silences to a minimum.

Study Party

Denny’s

3414 Erie Blvd. East

De Witt, N.Y. 13214-2074

315-445-2780

You have a final tomorrow. Right now, you’re falling in and out of sleep in E.S. Bird Library while trying to focus on flash cards. Why not get a change of scenery, grab some cheap food and still do your work? Denny’s is about 10 minutes away from campus. Open 24 hours, serving breakfast and non-breakfast food at all times of the day and with free Wi-Fi, Denny’s is perfect for a late-night study session. The coffee is bottomless, and in the dead of night, the restaurant is pretty quiet. If you end up becoming a Denny’s regular, the wait staff tends to remember your orders and more importantly your shenanigans, so try to lay low. Besides, no one likes to study on an empty stomach.

First date

Scotch and Sirloin

3687 Erie Blvd. East

Syracuse, N.Y. 13214

315-446-1771

From the outside, this restaurant doesn’t look like a place to make a first-date impression, but walk inside. This place is classy. With waiters dressed in white coats, playing the role of small-town butchers, a vast salad bar and a romantic, rustic look, Scotch and Sirloin makes an impression on itself. It’s a little pricey, so there’s no way anyone would come off as cheap. For those of age, the wine list is extensive. If you’re not a steak person, don’t worry: The menu offers everything from fish to chicken to hamburgers. The options are a defining trait: Diners can choose between three kinds of butter and steak glazes to go with their meal. The end of the meal is just as filling as the main courses. Ten different types of desserts and just as many after-dinner coffees, sherries and ports help round out the meal. The best way to someone’s heart is through his or her stomach, so start paving the way with a Scotch and Sirloin first-date dinner.

Eat your feelings

Friendly’s

3275 Erie Blvd East

Syracuse, N.Y. 13214-2057

315-446-8332

Feeling down or stressed? Have the late-night munchies after a movie? Then get closer with the friendliest place on the block. The ice cream and sundae options are perfect for a bad-mood pick-me-up, and the classic diner food is perfect for when you’re feeling more grease than sweets. Either way, when you need something to smooth out an evening or classic comfort food to shake yourself out of a funk, Friendly’s is the kind of place to lean on. Where else can you have an ice cream sundae that is dubbed as a ‘Happy Ending?’ Friendly’s is the perfect hug or exclamation point to someone’s night on a dime.

Cultural palette

Secret Garden Restaurant

2731 Erie Blvd. East

Syracuse, N.Y.

315-449-3333

Tucked away in a corner, the Korean cuisine is great. Friendly staffers, quiet place to come alone and just enjoy the meal.

New and Shiny

Chipotle

3496 Erie Blvd East

Syracuse, N.Y. 13214

315-446-3530

Syracuse finally has a Chipotle. Hooray. For every ‘Cuse student who has complained about missing this Mexican chain, one finally opened up to give students a taste of what they left behind at home. For those who have never experienced a Chipotle, it’s a grab-and-go Mexican restaurant where you can order either a burrito, fajita, taco (in a bowl or a shell) or salad and then add whatever trimmings you feel fit. Think Moe’s minus the free chips; a friendly greeting with less menu options. Most people swear by Chipotle’s burritos and sauce blends. Beware: Due to the high demand and long wait for its brand-new Syracuse arrival, this place will be packed for the first few weeks.

Where to watch an SU game

Tully’s

2943 Erie Blvd. East

Syracuse, N.Y.

315-449-9339

This New York state chain restaurant specializes in the sports atmosphere. With televisions everywhere, close seating and a menu perfect for mindless eating, Tully’s is the perfect place to watch a good game. Every table gets a free bowl of popcorn, so even if you come for drinks, sustenance is still provided. Tully’s screens most of the major games of the day on one of the approximately 70 TV screens. For the non-sports fan dragged into the restaurant on game day, the game room (which even features the infamous Claw game-tricking everyone into thinking he or she can win a stuffed animal) is a good way to stay occupied when not chowing down.

kaoutram@syr.edu