Culture

Frosted tips: Survive the season with Pulp’s cold weather guide

Illustrations by Natalie Riess | Art Director

With a winter storm warning in effect all across Onondaga County, Syracuse University students will be subject to face cold conditions for the next few days. You’ll be freezing in your dorms, you’ll be wondering if it’s even worth it to make the trek to the nearest dining hall and you’ll be Instagramming the winter wonderland from your window.

But just because you’re stuck inside doesn’t mean you can’t make the most of the day. Here is the Daily Orange feature staff’s essential guide to making sure this surge of polar vortices doesn’t suck.

SNOW-TOGRAPHY:

Compiled by the Daily Orange photo staff

The only thing worse than seeing a ton of snow outside your window is seeing a really bad photo of a ton of snow outside other people’s windows. Follow this guide for the perfect photo of the crisp snow. (Five likes guaranteed)

1. Choose your subject wisely — whether a frozen window frame or a campus scene, make sure that your pictures are of more than just a pile of snow. Leave the snapshots for Snapchat. For optimal likes: snow covered boots, trees and tasteful selfies are crowd-pleasers.

2. Select the right filter — Kelvin and Toaster should join the Abominable Snowman in nonexistence. Your filters should make your pictures better, not worse.

a.     Inkwell – Keep it classy with some black and white. It’ll also make your photos look fittingly retro.

b.     Lo-Fi – Contrast, contrast, contrast.

c.      Hudson – This filter makes everything feel as cold as you are.

3. Captions make the posts — brag if you want, but your caption should let your followers know just how snowy Syracuse is and just how much you love to hate it.

Chilling out:

Compiled by the Daily Orange feature staff

If sitting around a campfire telling great stories is a summer tradition, then sitting at your laptop watching great television is the winter tradition. Wait for the winter to pass as you marathon through six seasons and a movie from the comfort of your own couch. Here are the best shows you can binge watch before the April showers and May flowers return.

1. “Breaking Bad:” Substitute the blue skies outside with the “blue sky” Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are cooking up. The AMC hit follows a man’s decline from a 50-year-old chemistry teacher into a ruthless drug lord. With five and one-half seasons of hour-long episodes available online, you might find this show more addicting than crystal meth.
  2. “Scandal:” “Scandal,” a thrilling political drama, follows Olivia Pope, a public relations maven who runs her own crisis management firm fueled by the mishaps and scandals of the most valuable people in Washington, D.C. and across the United States. The first two seasons are available on Netflix, so watch Olivia work her magic.
  3. “Orange is the New Black:” It is arguably impossible to stop watching Netflix’s new original series. The story follows Piper Chapman, a woman who is torn from her normal life and fiancé after she is arrested for a crime committed ten years earlier. What follows is an intense jail sentence, filled with some crazy encounters.
  4. “Game of Thrones:” The HBO hit is a loose adaptation of George R. R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” series. It serves up lots of sex and violence to steam up those cold afternoons indoors.
  5. “House of Cards:” If you have Netflix, you’ve got access to every episode of this hit political series. With season two premiering next week, take this time to catch up. Sit back and watch sparks fly between fictional senators, journalists and governors. Political science and journalism majors beware — this D.C.-based drama will have you hooked in no time.

Brisk jockey:

By Jessica Cabe

Staff writer

Crank up the tunes as you’re wrapped in your five-layer blanket burrito. We’ve compiled a playlist of the best songs to listen to while you’re in the comfort of your warm room.

1. “Snow” – Red Hot Chili Peppers: Even though this song really isn’t about snow at all, it still offers the perfect blend of upbeat music and introspective lyrics to keep you company during a Syracuse blizzard. Forget the Super Bowl controversy and remember that this band is awesome.

2. “Coldest Winter” – Kanye West: Winter is depressing enough without trying to nurse a broken heart alone. This auto-tuned electronic ballad from 808s & Heartbreak is the perfect companion to a lonely snow-in.

3. “Angel in the Snow” – Elliott Smith: Any Elliott Smith song is pretty perfect for winter. Listening to his music is a lot like looking out your window at a foot of fresh snow: You appreciate the beauty, but you feel melancholy at the same time.

4. “Winter ’05” – Ra Ra Riot: The Syracuse native band is no stranger to snow on the hill. Listen to lyrics like “But instead I sit atop the crest / Looking down on the valley / Where the dead rest,” and wonder if they were talking about Oakwood Cemetery when they wrote this.

Frost Bites

Compiled by the Daily Orange feature staff:

When a blizzard turns your three-block walk to Ernie Davis Dining Hall into an obstacle course of snow banks, black ice and swerving cars, you find yourself choosing between a full stomach and your own safety. Instead of trudging through that madness, why not just whip something up in your room? With our microwave meal guide, Pulp’s got you covered for more than just popcorn.

Ramen Spaghetti

Ingredients:

1 cup pasta sauce

1 package of ramen (without flavor packet)

1/2 cup water

Shredded cheese

Place ingredients in microwave safe bowl and stir. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for five minutes. Remove and stir. Add cheese to taste.

Chocolate Mug Cake

Ingredients:

2 packets hot chocolate mix

3 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon butter/margarine/oil

1 egg

Melt butter in microwave. Stir in cocoa mix and egg, then add flour. Microwave 60-90 seconds, until top of cake appears firm. Allow to cool and enjoy!

Hot chocolate add-ons

If you’re feeling frisky, spice up your Swiss Miss with these dorm room additions.

Hazelnut Heaven: Use half as much hot chocolate mix and stir in 2 tablespoons of Nutella

Nutter Butter: After microwaving, add in 1 tablespoon of smooth peanut butter

Cocoa with a kick: Add 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper