Shorthanded Syracuse will use alternative scoring system in Spring Game

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Mitch Kimble, a rising sophomore quarterback for the Orange, prepares for the SU Spring Game at an open practice on April 8.

Scott Shafer has tinkered with unique scoring systems in a scrimmage before. He coached in one game in which sacks were worth four points and tackles for losses three.

The defense won 84-13.

“We’re not using that system,” Shafer said.

Instead, Syracuse will take a slightly more traditional approach in its Spring Game on Saturday at 1 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse is banged up on the offensive line — the Orange has too few players to form two healthy lines — and will be forced to pit the defense against the offense, rather than Team Orange against Team White like in last year’s game.

“We’re a little banged up with the offensive line, but getting some guys back,” Shafer said. “I think it will be a good scrimmage. We’ll be creative with some things that we do to make sure we get everyone involved.”

This planned format involves a scoring system that lets the offense score in the typical ways — touchdowns are worth six, extra points one and field goals three.

The defensive side is where SU is getting more creative. The defense gets seven points for touchdowns, but also can get six points for a turnover, three for a three-and-out and one for a defensive stop.

At halftime, Riley Dixon will come out for a punting challenge. The specialist will try to pin punts inside the 15-yard line to score points for the team that’s trailing at the break.

Shafer expects to run about 80 plays during the scrimmage after having a brief seven-on-seven session before it starts.

It won’t be the most conventional scrimmage, but it will still give SU fans a rare chance to see Syracuse practice and learn about some of the Orange’s newest pieces.

“Even if it’s more of a scrimmage like it will be this year, at least it’s another opportunity for the fans to come out and check things out,” Shafer said. “We owe that to our fans. I really love our fans here in Syracuse. I just think they deserve that.”