Morgan out, Moore, Foy ‘probably doubtful’ for Louisville

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer ruled cornerback Wayne Morgan out of Friday’s game against Louisville in his Tuesday teleconference.

Previously the Orange’s third-choice cornerback, Morgan missed SU’s 31-15 loss to Notre Dame after having a knee procedure late last week. He won’t play when the Orange (2-2) takes on the Cardinals (4-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) Friday at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome, Shafer said. Additionally, tight end Kendall Moore and starting right tackle Ivan Foy are “probably doubtful” for the game against the Cardinals, too.

With Morgan out against Notre Dame, converted wide receiver Corey Winfield played significant snaps, getting beat by Will Fuller for a 72-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Morgan’s absence also forced Julian Whigham and Brandon Reddish to play more downs.

“Wayne had a procedure done last week,” Shafer said. “They went in and cleaned it up. And we’re full-go at his treatments and his rehab right now. And we’re going to take it basically week-by-week to see how he’s progressing.”

Moore had to be carted off the field in the fourth quarter of SU’s loss to the Fighting Irish Saturday after taking two knees to the head in quick succession.

On Tuesday, he went to class, Shafer said. Moore has caught four passes for 31 yards — including what proved to be the game-winning touchdown against Villanova — through four games. Josh Parris, who started the year injured and is now back int he mix, is listed as the No. 2 tight end behind Moore on SU’s latest depth chart.

“He probably will be doubtful for this weekend, but we have a lot of people asking about him,” Shafer said. “And he’s doing well. He’s come around.”

Foy left the game against the Irish with 8:20 left in the second quarter with a lower-body injury and did not return. Junior Michael Lasker replaced him and was flagged for a personal foul and offsides.

Said Shafer: “Ivan Foy is sore, but thank god he had a good knee brace on and again, probably doubtful for this weekend, but we’ll see how he progresses.”