Advocacy Center

Student member discusses hopes for Chancellor’s Workgroup on Sexual Violence Prevention, Education and Advocacy

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud has appointed 14 members to the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Sexual Violence Prevention, Education and Advocacy and requested the group submit its final report by Dec. 15.

Members of the chancellor’s workgroup will create a report to point out critical gaps in service and support in the new structure for sexual assault resources on campus, the university announced on Friday.

The chancellor initially announced the formation of the workgroup in July, one month after the services of the Advocacy Center were realigned into the Counseling Center, the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of Health Promotion. The offices now work together to provide counseling, support, advocacy and education services to students affected by sexual assault and relationship violence.

The workgroup has also been asked to propose a set of recommendations to improve the campus and community culture involving sexual assault and relationship violence.

Vicky Wang, one of the newly appointed members in the workgroup, said she attended both of the listening meetings about the new sexual assault services structure this summer.

The lack of privileged, confidential advocacy services in the new structure needs to be addressed in the workgroup, she said. Wang, who is a graduate student in the earth science education program, said she would like to explore the university’s interpretation of Title IX as well.

She later added in an email that she would like to further address the need for the multiple offices of sexual assault services to be in one unified space.

“A comprehensive standalone center for education and advocacy is something we don’t have any more. I think a place like that would be important in allowing people to form communities,” Wang said.

Another issue Wang said she would like to address in the workgroup is the university’s communication about the new structure with returning undergraduate and graduate students.

Above all, Wang said she looks forward to promoting student voices and increasing transparency about important university decisions during her time in the workgroup.

The members of the workgroup are:

— Dawn Johnson, associate professor, School of Education and group co-chair

— Chase Catalano, director of the LGBT Resource Center and group co-chair

— Chris Cederquist, director of the University Options Program

— Aaliyah Gatlin ‘17, Mentors in Violence Prevention peer facilitator, Sex-Esteem

— Tula Goenka, associate professor, Newhouse School of Public Communications; adviser, Students Advocating for Sexual Safety and Empowerment

— Meaghan Greeley, graduate student, The Campaign for an Advocacy Center student representative

— Sam Leitermann, graduate student, Vice President for Internal Affairs, Graduate Student Association

— Brittany Moore ‘15, director, Student Association

— Pam Peter, director, Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities

— Joshua Walls ‘15, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs student representative

— Vicky Wang, graduate student, The Campaign for an Advocacy Center student representative

— One additional faculty member to be appointed

— Ex-officio Shannon Andre, Division of Student Affairs Communications     Manager

— Ex-officio Catherine Gerard, Program for the Advancement of Research on Conflict and Collaboration, the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs