West proves reliable deep-ball threat for Syracuse passing game in loss to Notre Dame

Spencer Bodian | Staff Photographer

Although Syracuse's offense was otherwise listless against Notre Dame on Saturday, senior Jarrod West displayed his deep-ball rapport with Terrel Hunt for the second week in a row.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — It wasn’t quite the connection Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson had with wide receiver Will Fuller, but Terrel Hunt and Jarrod West were on the same page, too.

Trailing for all but about 15 minutes of the game against Notre Dame, Syracuse had to drop the running game and attack the Fighting Irish through the air. If there were any positives from Hunt’s outing against Maryland on Sept. 20, it was the rapport he’s continuing to develop with West. The same could be said of SU’s 31-15 loss to No. 8 Notre Dame at MetLife Stadium on Saturday night.

West became the 11th receiver in program history with 100 career receptions and eclipsed 100 receiving yards in a game for the second time in his career.

He finished with a career-high eight catches for 103 yards — no other Syracuse receiver logged more than 58 — after having just three receptions for 9 yards at halftime.

“I’m not a selfish player, so it’s not frustrating,” West said of not getting involved until late in the game. “I just try to go out and whatever comes my way, I try to make my plays.”

On SU’s first play of the second half, Hunt found West for a gain of 33. That moved the Orange into UND territory before Hunt threw a drive-killing interception four plays later.

Late in the third quarter, Hunt dropped in a well-placed pass for West, who brought it in for a gain of 28 and again moved Syracuse past midfield. The senior wideout added a 19-yard reception in the fourth quarter to convert a third down and set SU up in the red zone.

“They did a great job of slowing down the run and making us pass,” West said.

Against the Terrapins on Sept. 20, West recorded 74 receiving yards, the bulk of which came on a 51-yard reception down the left sideline.

As Syracuse looks to rebound from an off performance in the running game, the offense can only benefit from Hunt and West stretching out defenses and taking what it’s given.

“Jarrod’s becoming a big-play threat down the field and it’s very encouraging to see,” left tackle Sean Hickey said. “It’s good to have a vertical passing game working like that. It helps out the running game a lot.”