Culture

Black Celestial Choral Ensemble to perform Christmas show

The Black Celestial Choral Ensemble plans to ring in the holiday spirit on Friday with its Christmas Showcase. The public will be able to enjoy the free concert at 7 p.m. at Hendricks Chapel.

Co-hospitality chair Alyssa Ford said BCCE has planned a show that everyone can enjoy.

“We want students to end the semester on a happy note,” said Ford, a senior magazine journalism major.

Ford said she has not seen a lot of Christmas spirit on campus and feels that the show will bring that spirit during what can be a very stressful time.

The showcase will include holiday gospel music as well as individual talent performances from BCCE members. Ashleigh Brown, a sophomore psychology major, said these performances include singing, dancing and other types of acts.

Ronald Taylor, a senior political science and policy studies major, will be performing a monologue dealing with the issue of loss, he said.

Brown admits she feels nervous having so much responsibility, since this is her first time serving as the ensemble’s assistant director.

“In order to have time for all of our member’s talents, we usually only sing two to three songs as a whole,” Brown said. “So Byron (Canada), the director of BCCE, and myself really spent time deciding what songs the choir would sing.”

Choir practices are held twice a week, and BCCE members share positive messages, spiritual enlightenment and a story about their day or week. It’s a special time for the group to bond before getting into the hard work, Brown said.

“It’s a quick turnaround from our performance during Family Weekend and from students returning back from Thanksgiving weekend, but we really do try to keep things simple and fun,” said Nina Rodgers, BCCE’s business manager, who is also a columnist for The Daily Orange.

Rodgers, a junior broadcast and digital journalism major, said that in the heart of the holiday season, the Christmas showcase is something calming to do in the haste of finals.

“I want attendees to take away two things. One, this is a great spiritual outlet that allows for reflection,” Taylor said. “And two, I want them to be able to think of all the blessings of this semester.”