board of trustees

Board of Trustees announces positional changes

Syracuse University announced Monday several appointments in the Office of the Board of Trustees with the intention of enhancing and supporting the current SU governance structure.

The changes are in alignment with the university’s “institutional mission and strategic planning.” The Office of the Board of Trustees has evolved from a focus on record keeping and meeting planning to an information and communication center to members of the Board of Trustees and senior university leaders, according to an SU News release.

The Office of the Board of Trustees is responsible for coordinating meetings, retreats, the management of committees, and recording and maintaining documentation of action taken by the board.

Lisa Dolak, the Angela S. Cooney Professor of Law and the associate director of the Institute for the Study of the Judiciary, Politics and the Media, has been appointed interim secretary to the Board of Trustees while the search for the position continues. Dolak will continue her teaching duties at the Syracuse University College of Law while serving as interim secretary, according to the release.

“Through my work on the Strategic Plan Steering Committee I have come to know more intimately where the challenges and opportunities for universities are today,” Dolak said in the release. “This is an exciting time of change and I’m eager to play an active role in Syracuse University’s future.”

David Smith, former vice president for administrative planning at SU, agreed in August to serve as interim secretary to the board through the end of 2014 and his tenure in that position has come to an end.

Rachel Harms has been named associate secretary and executive director. Harms is now responsible for management and directing of financial and administrative activities of the Office of Board of Trustees among other tasks, according to the release.

Tressa Sobotka and Beth Mahoney have been promoted to executive administrator and information technology manager, respectively, according to the release.