Syracuse Athletics

Chancellor Kent Syverud discusses goals, qualifications for next director of athletics

Chancellor Kent Syverud hopes that Syracuse University’s next athletics director has aspirations for the school as an academic powerhouse as well as an athletic one, he said Thursday morning.

In an interview with The Daily Orange, Syverud discussed the initial search process for a new director of athletics, and what he’s looking for in the next person to take the position. Daryl Gross stepped down Wednesday after 10 years as director of athletics. He will remain at SU as vice president and special assistant to the chancellor, and will teach as an adjunct professor in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics.

Syverud said his goal for a new athletics director is to hire someone who has extraordinary academic integrity and aspirations for the university as an academic powerhouse, and someone who is able to compete at highest levels in athletics.

In addition, he said he hopes the next director will be someone “who pays attention to detail in compliance,” and someone who cares about diversity.

Syverud added that the recent NCAA investigation into SU, and the resulting report that the Committee on Infractions released March 6, plays some role in who will take the job next. With the report, the NCAA also levied penalties against the university’s athletics program.

“Whoever is our athletic director is going to be managing a program that’s under probation for a substantial period of time,” Syverud said. “That means it’s going to be someone who pays attention to detail and ensures the entire program is in rigorous compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.” That includes NCAA laws, government laws and Title IX laws.

Pete Sala, managing director of the Carrier Dome, will serve as interim director of athletics while the search of a permanent director is conducted.

An initial group of people has been identified as part of a search committee, but the committee has not been finalized yet, Syverud said. Filling out the committee requires conversation with faculty, student leaders and the Board of Trustees, and will hopefully be able to begin working as soon as next week or the week after, he said. He added that he expects the university will use a search consultant for the process.