Syracuse Athletics

Daryl Gross discusses change in role, NCAA report on ESPN Radio

Outgoing Syracuse Director of Athletics Daryl Gross was extremely positive while discussing the past and future of Syracuse Athletics in an ESPN Syracuse Radio interview on Wednesday afternoon.

Earlier Wednesday, an email from Syracuse Chancellor Kent Syverud confirmed that Gross will no longer be the university’s director of athletics, but will stay with the university as vice president and special assistant to the chancellor and adjunct professor in the David B. Falk School School of Sport and Human Dynamics.

“Well, I tell you, first of all, I am so grateful for the opportunity Chancellor Syverud offered me to be a vice president at this great university and be a special assistant to the chancellor,” Gross began in the radio interview. “He and I have worked so well together and we’ve talked about being together for a while and I really respect him and the things that he’s done and his vision and the institution is in terrific shape.”

After continuing on about his excitement and gratitude for what lies ahead, Gross was asked about the NCAA’s 94-page report released 12 days ago. He added later in the interview that hindsight is 20-20, and he wouldn’t pinpoint any specifics of what he’d change if he could go back into his 10-year tenure.

Here’s Gross’ full response to the release and aftermath of the NCAA report:

“I don’t want to spend a lot of time on the report… we are still really good about a lot of processes that we did take. Everyone had the best interest, things were discussed as groups, things were discussed in a transparent way in the institution and sometimes the perception of what’s been written is not accurate. That’s just part of the deal, they just write stuff and the truth will come out. I don’t even worry about it, I don’t even worry about comments because people just don’t have enough data to say some of the things they’re saying. It’s just not accurate and I don’t even want to get into specific areas, but there is an area where we truly were trying to do the right thing. It was even stated and folks came to miss it in the report, that certain meetings were appropriate and the right thing to do. Not to ignore, but to get expertise and those type of things. I don’t want to get into any of those kind of details but I feel good about it, about the fact that everyday we went to work, we went there in trying to do the right thing and trying to make the right decision and trying to do it with as many people in the conversation as possible. I think that’s something you should try to do in life so that’s my feeling on it.”