Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter to speak with Chancellor Kent Syverud, students during visit to Syracuse University Tuesday

Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter is coming to Syracuse University on Tuesday, the university confirmed in a press release Friday.

Carter will speak at 10:40 a.m. in the Melanie Gray Ceremonial Courtroom in Dineen Hall. Tickets are required and can be picked up in the Schine Box Office beginning Monday at 9 a.m. A valid SU or SUNY-ESF ID is required and the free tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Carter will discuss with students and invited guests the “Future of the Force” and how the Department of Defense recruits, retains and transitions the next generation of service members.

Doors will open at 9:10 a.m. for security screening and no admittance will be allowed after 10:10 a.m. Backpacks and other large bags are not allowed.

Carter assumed office on Feb. 17 after his predecessor, Chuck Hagel, resigned on Nov. 24, 2014. Carter will also make trips to Philadelphia and Fort Drum, which is located about an hour north of SU. The trip is Carter’s first domestic trip since taking office.

Prior to his remarks at 10:40 a.m., Carter will hold a closed-door roundtable discussion with Chancellor Kent Syverud, members of the Institute for Veterans and Military Families, including Executive Director Mike Haynie, and invited guests.

The IVMF, the Department of Defense and the Shultz Family Foundation recently announced the creation of the “Onward to Opportunity” program to help service members transition to civilian life.

“Secretary Carter is keenly interested in learning more about Syracuse University’s historic commitment to veterans and IVMF’s mission to fully leverage the intellectual, human and social capital of higher education, in service to America’s veterans and their families,” Haynie said in the release.

Carter will also have a discussion with other SU students, and primarily from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, according to the release.