Students, staff discuss plans for White Ribbon Week, work to bring long-term awareness of issues of domestic violence and sexual assault

Remaining silent about domestic violence and sexual assault can continue the cycle of violence without interruption. Vera House and Syracuse University come together once a year for White Ribbon Week to prevent that silence.

“We try and echo out Vera House’s message to take a stand against domestic and sexual violence, as well as provide information about the critical services they offer to the Syracuse community, SU students and Onondaga County at large,” said Paul Ang, a master’s student studying cultural foundations of education and student co-chair of the White Ribbon Campaign, in an email.

White Ribbon Week is officially March 20–29, but Bridget Yule, director of student services and programming services and Vera House board member, said the board takes it beyond just this week. The university coordinated with Vera House to hand out bracelets at the Carrier Dome March 2 to spread awareness.

Other scheduled events will extend into the following week with the tabling occurring in Schine Atrium through March 31, Yule said. Students will be staffing tables Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Schine Student Center and Manley Fieldhouse selling white ribbons, chocolate bars and white bracelets.

A large purpose of the tabling is to bring awareness to the issue of violence and sexual assault, said Matthew Fox, a sophomore computer and engineering major and vice president of A Men’s Issue. There will also be information available on how men can get involved to help stop the abuse.

On Tuesday at 4:30 p.m., there will be a workshop about healthy relationships in Hall of Languages Room 105. Any men interested in these issues are welcome to attend A Men’s Issue meeting on Thursday nights at 7 p.m. in the Life Sciences Complex Room 200, Ang said.

A Men’s Issue also has a presence in Take Back the Night on March 31 at 7 p.m. Take Back the Night is a rally, march and speak-out at Hendricks Chapel. It has a record number of 73 co-sponsors this year as of March 20, Fox said.

The final event, Breaking the Silence to End Violence, an open-mic event to address discuss sexual assault and violence, will take place on April 7 in Schine Underground.

Fox said he is hoping the campaign will make people realize how serious, prevalent and large-scale this issue is.

One of the ways they are doing that is by selling circles for a dollar that students can put their name on and stick on a spot of their choosing. They are similar to the Children’s Miracle Network balloon stickers sold in stores, Yule said. This is another new aspect for this year’s White Ribbon Week.

Yule, a Vera House board member, said she hopes that people continue to remember this issue throughout the year. She wants it to be brought to the forefront of people’s minds this week, and stay there for the future.

“The campaign gives me hope that with each year, sexual and domestic violence is coming to the forefront of people’s minds,” Ang said, “and is moving out of the shadows and into the light where, together as a community, men, women, trans* individuals and people of any gender identity and expression can confront these issues head on.”

Correction: In a March 23 article titled “Events aim to raise awareness of sexual assault,” the group coordinating with Vera House on certain events was misstated. It is the university, not the Vera House board, that coordinate events through March 31. The Daily Orange regrets this error.