Election 2016

Morrison Bonpasse runs presidential campaign under Democratic and Green parties with goal to correct wrongful convictions

Morrison Bonpasse, a native of Maine, registered for the Democratic and Green Party nominations with the Federal Election Commission in December 2014.

He is running on a campaign based on three primary goals: putting an end to and correcting wrongful convictions in the U.S., adopting a single global currency and ending global population growth.

The Daily Orange spoke with Bonpasse about his campaign and his stance on some relevant issues.

The Daily Orange: When did you decide to run for president?

Morrison Bonpasse: Four years ago when I started to work in New Hampshire. When I worked on the Chad Evans case, who was wrongly convicted, I decided that if he was still in jail by the next election season, I would run.

The D.O.: What is your history with politics?

M.B.: I volunteered for campaigns since college. I ran for state representative for Maine in 2000 and 2002. But, I didn’t win and I don’t expect to win this time. The goal is to present and publicize issues that are important.

The D.O.: What do you feel your qualifications are to be president?

M.B.: I am an educated person. I have several degrees and I am 67, so I have had education in the real world. I have worked in small business and for a large company. I have also written several books.

The D.O.: What do you plan to do for your campaign?

M.B.: For the first part of my campaign, I plan to do most work electronically. I plan on getting my positions before voters electronically. I spoke in a rotary club and registered to talk and present my issues in a debate for underrepresented candidates at a college. If I have some success and coverage, I plan to do more. I think it’s wrong to self-fund campaigns and I believe in public funding of campaigns. It’s definitely a small-budget campaign.

The D.O.: Who sponsors your campaign and what do you plan to do with the $10,000 you plan to raise?

M.B.: My largest contributors I know are two friends who gave $100 each. I put in about $100 myself for supplies like business cards that cost about $45. If I raised the $10,000, I would travel to New Hampshire and spend money in improving the website. I would use it on upkeep of my Facebook page and travel costs. I won’t have enough money for a staff, but I hope to get volunteers. I haven’t had to publish financial reports, but I would if I needed to.

The D.O.: What do you believe your chances are of winning?

M.B.: It’s not likely, but I wouldn’t do this if I didn’t think I could do the work. I don’t take it lightly running for this.

The D.O.: What makes you different than other candidates?

M.B.: I think I’m qualified and the issues I raise are the most important to the citizens of the U.S. I’m the only candidate who talks about the wrongly convicted. I’m one of the only people who raise these issues.

The D.O.: What would you do for college education if you were elected into office, if anything?

M.B.: This country should return to its former support for nearly free public education through public universities, colleges and community colleges. By shifting our priorities toward peace and a return to progressive taxation, we could easily pay for nearly free higher education in public universities and colleges.

The D.O.: What is your stance about the job market?

M.B.: The status of the job market is part of a more complicated question about a future economy.  Promoting a single global currency will help improve the global economy, including that of the United States.  Moving the costs of health insurance from employers and individuals to the government will help our businesses become more competitive in international trade.

The D.O.: Is there anything else you would like to add?

The campaign schedule is very inappropriate. Campaigns should begin six months before elections. I think it’s a mistake and for people announcing two years ahead, don’t register for the national primaries in October (2014).

The D.O.: Why did you announce your candidacy so early then?

M.B.: ‘Cause everybody else is and I wanted to do what others were doing in that sense. I have more opportunities. I spoke in a rotary club and talked about Chad Evans. It gives me an opportunity to present the issues over a two-year period.