Robert Washington Sr. on No. 44 restoration: ‘Whoever earns it, earns it.’

Throughout Robert Washington’s recruitment to Syracuse, he has been linked to the restoration of No. 44.

SU’s interim director of athletics Pete Sala announced on Tuesday afternoon that the legendary number would be restored after being retired for nearly 10 years. The next question is who will get to wear it.

“We don’t have a clue,” Washington’s father, Robert Washington Sr. said. “… No one’s promised us anything or promised Robert. It’s just one of those where it’s back in rotation and whoever earns it, earns it.”

Though it hasn’t been decided yet, Washington is one of the most likely candidates. The Class of 2016 running back, who verbally committed to Syracuse on April 25, would be just SU’s fourth four-star running back in the past 10 years and is the 21st best running back in the class according to Scout.com.

After the announcement was made, Washington Sr. found out via Twitter and said he was “shocked, just like everybody else.”

Traditionally, No. 44 is associated with running backs, but other offensive players have worn the number. All but four were a quarterback, halfback or wide receiver.

His father said the most important part of bringing No. 44 back is that it brings some energy to a team coming off a 3-9 season.

“The biggest thing that happened today I think is a big step in the right direction for Syracuse,” Washington Sr. said. “Nothing to do with Robert, but just Syracuse and their tradition. You got fans getting excited about the program and that’s what you want to see.”