Syracuse University students named ‘Charlotte’ react to royal baby name

The newest addition to the royal family, a girl born on Saturday, has been named Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

The middle names are in reference to her great-grandmother, the current queen, and her paternal grandmother, Princess Diana, who died in 1997.

The newborn girl is fourth in line to the throne — after Prince Charles, her father Prince William and her brother Prince George.

The Daily Orange caught up with members of the Syracuse University community named Charlotte, and asked how they felt about sharing the name with the royal baby.

Charlotte Visser, a junior social work major, said one of her friends texted her with the news and another tagged her in a post on Facebook.

“I didn’t really feel honored to share the name with the royal baby because I don’t follow the royal family, but I think it’s really interesting,” Visser said.

Charlotte Lipman, an alumna who graduated in 2013, said she has been following the royal family from the beginning and that she is excited to share the name with the princess.

“I also have two very dear friends name Elizabeth and Diana, and we’ve been celebrating all day,” Lipman said. “We were all at Syracuse together, we were sisters at Gamma Phi, and we were following this and seeing if our names were going to be used.”

Lipman said she placed bets on Saturday with some of her friends, but that they were all very skeptical of the names they chose.

Charlotte Klass, a sophomore child and family studies major, said the royal family chose a “beautiful name,” but that it is just a name.

“It’s not going to change who I am or who that baby is.” Klass said. “It’s a lovely name and I’m really happy for them and I’m glad and hope they have a happy and healthy baby.”

Charlotte Stockdale, a senior public relations major, said she immediately texted her mom when she heard the news. Her mother had predicted before the name was announced that the baby would be named Charlotte.

“I was like, ‘Oh f*ck, my mom has like super powers, she can predict the future.’”

Stockdale, a former writer for The Daily Orange, made one thing very clear, “…the royal baby was named after me, and she’s sharing a name with Charlotte Stockdale and not the other way around.”

-design editor Katherine Sotelo and staff writer Rachel Gilbert contributed reporting to this article.