Juice Jam 2015

Q&A: Big Sean talks coming back to Syracuse

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Big Sean headlined this year's Juice Jam.

Big Sean isn’t a big man. At five-foot-nine, it’s the rapper’s stage presence and relatable song lyrics that make him a big name with concertgoers. After closing out his act at Juice Jam on Sunday, Pulp sat down with the rapper, producer and founder of the Sean Anderson Foundation in his artist-only tent. The rapper, who took his shirt off before exiting the stage, sat wearing a navy blue bomber jacket, sipping coffee out of a paper cup.

The Daily Orange: This is your third time coming to Syracuse. What makes you keep coming back?

Big Sean: I have a personal love for Syracuse. I just do. There’s too many memories here, you know, just like, I remember the first time I came to Syracuse I barely had only a couple mixtapes out. It was like one of the first packed crowds I had and I just promised it then that whoever was at that show they probably remember me saying I’m always come back here, I’m gonna always call Syracuse a home because you guys are on it, so. Every time it’s been great.

The D.O.: Did the crowd meet your standards for Syracuse?

B.S.: It was wild out there. It was very lit. That weather, it was cold outside, but I still broke a sweat though. Tell everybody at Syracuse thank you for their support and tell them I love them. I’m gonna keep coming back here, whenever I get the chance.

The D.O.: During your set you said you’ve seen artists come and go throughout your career. Where do you see yourself in five years?

B.S.: I’m for sure gonna be making music and it’s probably gonna be bigger and better than ever. I’m probably gonna have my hands in a few other things as well and I’m excited for it. Every day I’m happy.