Bernie Fine Allegations

5 standout quotes from phone call between Laurie Fine and former SU ball boy

In new testimony, Laurie Fine described the contents of a 2003 phone call between her and Bobby Davis, who accused former Syracuse University associate men’s basketball coach Bernie Fine of molesting him. Laurie Fine said the conversation was solely about NCAA violations and the money her husband lent to Davis.

Laurie Fine sued ESPN in 2012, after the network released the secretly recorded tape. ESPN’s attorney claims the conversation was about her husband sexually abusing Davis.

Here are a few top quotes from the phone call:

Laurie Fine on if Bernie Fine believes he did anything wrong:

“No, he doesn’t think he did anything wrong and Bernie is also in denial. I think he did the things he did but he somehow through his own mental telepathy erased them out of his own mind.”

Bobby Davis on his relationship with Bernie Fine:

“…I keep thinking about what he did to me, you know, like younger, you know what I mean, and if he were capable right now, he’d try to do something, you know? He’d try to grab me, or…” [Davis is cut off by Laurie Fine]

Bobby Davis on Bernie Fine allegedly requesting sex in exchange for loaning Davis money and Laurie Fine’s response:

BD: “He wanted to do me. He tried to make me touch him a couple times…He’d grab my hand and then I’d pull away and then he’d put me in your bed and pin me down and I’d try to go away and he’d put his arm on top of my chest and go ‘if you want this money, stay right here.’”

LF: “Right, right. But you never had any oral sex with him?”

BD: “No, no. I think he would want to, but…” [Davis cut off by Fine]

LF: “Oh of course he would! Why wouldn’t he!? So then he gives you all this money and you’re not willing to…” [Fine cut off by Davis]

BD: “This is 3 days in a row!”

Laurie Fine in response to Bobby Davis saying Bernie Fine’s anger isn’t about the money Davis owes him:
“It’s about the d***! I know that! So you’re – I’m just telling you for your own good you’re better off just staying away from him.”

Bobby Davis in response to Laurie Fine saying he should try to move on:

“I mean as much as I stay away from him and try to avoid him, I think about him every day. I don’t know, I don’t know. There’s just been so much history there.”