Editorial Board

US, New York state should accept Syrian refugees

It is one thing for a country to deny refuge due to a lack of necessary space and resources. But to refuse mercy to hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees on the basis of one horrific event is severely misguided when the United States has the capacity to make a difference.

Authorities have revealed that at least one of the suspects believed to be involved in the Paris terrorist attacks entered Europe by identifying as a Syrian immigrant, according to CNN. In response, congressional leaders are working to halt President Barack Obama’s plans of allowing up to 10,000 Syrian refugees into the U.S., and more than half of the nation’s governors have said they oppose letting refugees into their states.

Because the ultimate decision on the issue will be made by the federal government, the United States should move forward with accepting refugees from Syria to refrain from perpetuating the discriminatory stigma surrounding Syrian refugees in light of the Paris attacks.

The safety concerns that have been raised regarding accepting refugees lack validity, considering an entire group of people cannot be judged by the actions of a small number of extremists. 

Contributing to the generalizations facing refugees and failing to provide relief only feeds into a dangerous cycle — one that fuels the rejection of an entire people. This approach often creates circumstances in which people are ultimately forced to turn to extremist tactics when they are left without options, resources and with nowhere to go.

Several political figures in New York state have set a strong example for the rest of the nation by making public statements that welcome Syrian immigrants into their respective cities and states, including Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner.

As a final decision is reached by the federal government with regard to the refugee crisis, New York state should pose as a model for others by upholding its support for Syrian refugees.

In moving forward as one nation, it must be realized as a fact of life that anyone can pose as a security risk and the U.S. should not single out an entire refugee population at a time of desperation for the actions of few by refusing safety.

Instead, the United States should justly offer asylum to Syrian refugees and acknowledge that now is not the time to be taking a stance against those whose only alternative is a war-torn state of life.