Veterans to be honored in university-sponsored events

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

The annual Veterans Day Ceremony will be held at Hendricks Chapel Wednesday at 11 a.m. Brig. Gen. Michael Fantini of the U.S. Air Force will be the ceremony's keynote speaker. Fantini is currently the principal director for Middle East policy for the Pentagon.

A group of students and members of various associations will meet in front of Hendricks Chapel on Wednesday to kick-start Veterans Day.

“Each year, (the ceremony) continues to draw a significant number of people which indicates the caring and patriotism of our campus community,” said Eileen Jevis, manager of public relations at University College, in an email. “It’s always a moving ceremony and makes a positive impact on those who attend.”

There are currently 764 veteran and military-connected students in credit programs on campus, Jevis said. SU wants to ensure that these student veterans and their families feel welcome and know that they are an integral part of the campus community, she said.

“It’s about inclusion, acceptance, honor and support of our veterans who have served our country and their families who sacrificed,” Jevis said.

The first event of the day will be the Annual Veterans Day Run, scheduled for 6:30 a.m., during which participants from the campus community and various other organizations will walk or run at Manley Field House to honor veterans and their service. The groups taking part in the run this year are University College, the Institute of Veteran and Military Families, the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs, ROTC and the Student Veterans Organization.

After the run, the Veterans Day Ceremony will be held in Hendricks Chapel at 11 a.m. The ceremony’s keynote speaker will be Brig. Gen. Michael Fantini of the U.S. Air Force, who is currently the principal director for Middle East policy for the Pentagon.

Another event being held is the SU Veterans Writing Group, which will meet in Hall of Languages Room 207 at 7 p.m. for a discussion titled “What did you carry then? What do you carry now?” The meeting will feature nonfiction and poetry readings.

The SU Women’s Choir will perform in Setnor Auditorium in Crouse College at 8 p.m. to honor the university’s commitment to veterans, according to a list of the day’s events released by SU.

SU Veterans Day will conclude with a Veteran’s Appreciation Day service and fellowship dinner entitled “Turn Down for What” in Hendricks Main Chapel and Noble Room. The service is scheduled to begin at 9 p.m.

In addition to the scheduled Veterans Day events, there will be a military photograph exhibition in SUArt Galleries that will last from November to January.