Letters to the Editor

SU Division of Student Affairs, DPS encourage safety at weekend festivities

With end of year events fast approaching, including Mayfest, Block Party and commencement-related activities, we want to remind you that each of you play an important role in the larger campus community. We also want to reiterate to you the university’s commitment to maintaining a healthy and safe environment for all our campus community members and neighbors.

This commitment includes a number of efforts aimed at preventing large, unruly parties that create potentially dangerous situations for those attending and major disruptions for our neighbors and community partners. Action will be taken against violators of the University Code of Student Conduct, City of Syracuse ordinances and New York State laws. The Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Syracuse Police Department will be monitoring activities and strictly enforcing rules, codes, laws and ordinances.

This time of celebration may also include the consumption of alcohol. If you choose to drink, please remember to follow these tips:

• Alternate non-alcoholic drinks with alcoholic drinks.
  • Eat a high protein meal prior to drinking.
  • Recognize the signs of alcohol poisoning. To learn more about what you should look for, visit http://bewise.syr.edu/beaware.
  • If someone needs medical assistance, call SU Ambulance right away. It’s better to be proactive than to regret not taking action when you could have.
  • Avoid risky beverages like energy drinks, jungle juice and shots.
  • Look out for yourself and your friends. Go out together and return home together.
  • Have a designated driver, cab company phone number or another safe means for getting home without driving.
  • Everyone has a camera! Remember — your actions and what you post on social media are rarely private.
  • Don’t just follow the crowd. Excitement that turns into violations of the law can turn a great time celebrating into an expensive, embarrassing and even dangerous situation. If you see any concerning behaviors, call 911 if you’re off campus. If you’re on campus, call DPS at 315.443.2224.

We take the well-being of our students, campus community members and neighbors very seriously and appreciate your support in working to prevent dangerous and risky behavior.

Have fun, enjoy this time and be safe. Help our community maintain a safe and respectful environment for everyone on and off campus.

Thank you,

Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz
Senior Vice President and Dean
Division of Student Affairs

Chief Bobby Maldonado
Department of Public Safety