Mayfest 2016

Syracuse University students party in the rain outside Walnut Park on Mayfest

Frankie Prijatel | Senior Staff Photographer

Cups, lids and food all litter the ground at Mayfest.

A Syracuse University student rode her scooter from class on Friday to a Mayfest party on Ostrom Avenue.

“I am dedicated to class, and I am dedicated to Mayfest,” said Lydia Stinson, a junior in the College of Visual and Performing Arts.

Despite the rain, many students celebrated on Euclid Avenue and Clarendon Street before heading to Mayfest in Walnut Park. Red Solo cups littered the ground and songs by Chance The Rapper — one of the performers at Block Party — blasted in the background.

Stinson said she did not mind the rain, which started around 1 p.m. and picked up around 2 p.m. She considered it refreshing, and was looking forward to a free corn dog. 

“Rain better than snow. Global warming takes Syracuse by storm,” said a visiting student who asked to be referred to as Robert Downey Jr. III.

Most students didn’t dress for the rain. Instead, they were clad in flannels and jerseys, but a few were in costumes.

Haley Murphy, a junior in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, was dressed as Boba Fett from Star Wars.

“I wanted to wear something different from everyone else,” Murphy said.

Stephen Milewski, also a junior in Newhouse, wore a hedgehog onesie. Milewski said his friend had a kangaroo suit, and they wanted to match for Mayfest.

Matheus Lot, a student from Brazil studying at SU for a year, was wearing an American flag-themed top hat and orange sunglasses. He described his look as “alcoholic Uncle Sam.” Lot represented his home country of Brazil by waving the Brazilian flag.

A level of normalcy was maintained in the midst of bumping house music and Mayfest celebrations as a mailman and a jogger passed by, and a maintenance worker mowed a lawn.

John Deskavich, a junior in the College of Engineering and Computer Science, took on the role of head chef at one house party.

“I enjoy grilling at home,” Deskavich said as he closed the lid of the grill. “I’m happy to have the opportunity to do it here.”

A few seniors kicked off their final Mayfest with a chocolate chip pancake breakfast before heading on a “house crawl.” They started on Westcott Street and headed to Lancaster, Sumner and Ostrom avenues before making the trip to Walnut Park for official Mayfest festivities.

People from outside of the SU student body were also at the pre-Mayfest celebration. Vito Pelliccia was at SU visiting a friend for Mayfest.

Pelliccia was unsure of what central New York would have to offer, but said he was pleasantly surprised to find good vibes, open parties and friendly people. He spent the five-hour car ride from New Jersey to Syracuse listening to The Chainsmokers and Chance The Rapper to prepare for Block Party.

Students participated in rounds of beer pong, cornhole and KanJam while others watched from the roofs of neighboring homes.

Many said they were heading to Walnut Park later in the day.

Eleanor Carrington Haines, a junior communications and rhetorical studies major, said she wanted to go to get a corn dog.

“Mayfest is a time for the population of Syracuse to come together and take pride in this community and do good for humanity,” Haines said.