Arts

Syracuse Stage names new managing director

Courtesy of Syracuse Stage

Jill Anderson will leave her position at the Eugene O'Neill Theater Center to head to Syracuse.

Syracuse Stage has named Jill Anderson as its next managing director, according to a press release. Anderson is expected to start work July 25, filling the position previously held by Jeffrey Woodward.

Right now, Anderson is the general manager of the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center in Waterford, Connecticut, according to the release. She’s been at the theater since 2006, starting as the production manager and moving on to general manager within a year. Anderson has also worked as a stage manager in cities including Washington, D.C. and Minneapolis.

In her current job, Anderson has worked in many areas of the theater, which include overseeing finances, production and facilities management. In the release, Anderson said she hopes to bring this diverse experience to the Syracuse Stage.

“I am ready to use my experiences at The O’Neill and elsewhere in the service of a larger organization, in a more populated, more diverse community,” Anderson said. “Coming onboard early in a new artistic director’s tenure is also exciting, and the selection of Bob Hupp (as artistic director) signals to me an interest in refreshing the company’s vision and expanding the breadth of narratives seen on stage.”

Hupp, who was recently selected as the Syracuse Stage’s new artistic director, reflected Anderson’s sentiments. In the release, he said he is delighted by Anderson’s selection.

“We really hit it off during the search process and I know we’ll forge a strong partnership in Syracuse,” Hupp said.

Along with Hupp’s recent appointment, Anderson’s new position completes a leadership transition at the venue. Previous artistic director Tim Bond will head to the University of Washington at Seattle in July. Woodward, the previous managing director, is now the managing director of the Dallas Theater Center.

Anderson will start her position right after the conclusion of the Syracuse Stage’s 2015-16 production schedule, after “Ken Ludwig’s Baskerville: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery” finishes its run on May 29. The 2016-17 season kicks off Oct. 19 with an adaptation of “Great Expectations.”