Editorial Board

The Daily Orange will not be endorsing any political candidates

/ The Daily Orange

In this intense and polarized election season, everyone has something to say — even newspapers. At a time when publications are explicitly choosing whether or not to vouch for a specific presidential hopeful, the pressure to endorse is real.

From commenting on city issues, considering initiatives at peer institutions and holding Syracuse University accountable for its actions, The Daily Orange Editorial Board gives voice to the informed opinions of the staff behind the newspaper. We have that privilege as a student-run newspaper that is financially independent of Syracuse University.

But in regard to expression, a distinct aspect of The D.O. to take into consideration is our status as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. It is for this reason that the editorial board will not be endorsing any candidates for district, congressional and presidential office.

Tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofits are those that are organized and operated with the purpose of charity, religion, science, literature, public safety and education. The last cause is right in line with The D.O.’s role for the Syracuse community as a newspaper of record. And part of a 501(c)(3) nonprofit’s legitimacy rests in the commitment not to attempt influencing legislation and not to participate in campaign activity for or against specific political candidates.

Along with contributions to political campaign funds, any verbal or written endorsements for a candidate of an elective public office are prohibited. So we must stay true to that, for our own integrity and for that of our readers.