Movie Column

Harry Potter is getting the Pokémon Go treatment

SUNY-ESF hosted a Harry Potter exhibit at Moon Library in 2015. Next year, the tech company Niantic will launch a world similar to Pokémon Go in summer 2018 that features a world of wizards, spells and enemies who cannot be named.

Way back in 2016, there was a time when everyone went outside to catch virtual creatures in their neighborhoods.

The short-lived, but much-loved, phenomenon known as Pokémon Go was a hit and may make another millennial wave in the future. Niantic, Inc., the company that launched the gaming app, has announced a new project and obsession for the summer of 2018, and this time it’s Harry Potter-themed.

Niantic will team up with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Portkey Games to bring magic to smartphones next year. It will give fans of “The Boy Who Lived” a chance to interact with the wizarding world in a new way. Like Pokémon Go, the game, called “Wizards Unite,” will utilize augmented reality, or AR, which places virtual items in the real world that can be viewed using the app.

In Pokémon Go, the concept of the game was to catch Pokémon that could be found in various locations, so you’d have to leave the house to play the game. But before, teams are chosen to ally with and battles commence.

That summer I saw more people outside than I had in years. Although there were some dangers associated with the mobile nature of the game, like car accidents and muggings, it was generally considered to be a great way to get everyone outside.

Even people who’d never played any other Pokémon games in their lives were playing Pokémon Go.

Wizards Unite seems to be based on the same idea so far. Instead of catching Pokémon, users will learn spells and explore the world to fight legendary magical beasts and take down powerful enemies. It sounds like it may cross over with the “Fantastic Beasts” franchise, which also recently announced the 2018 release date for its film sequel.

I’m excited for this game. I, like many others, had a lot of fun with Pokémon Go, but am worried it will fall prey to the same fate as Pokémon Go: a summer fad.

The main reason Pokémon Go couldn’t retain its players was because there was no major storyline to the game. Besides catching all the Pokémon and gaining control of local gyms, there weren’t any goals.

Unless you lived in a major city or were able to visit one and dedicate your whole trip to capturing virtual creatures, there wasn’t a feasible way to catch every kind of Pokémon. They only showed up in certain places. Additionally, other players could take control of your gym after you’d won it, so you could be repeatedly fighting for an accomplishment that wouldn’t last long.

The game needed achievable goals and maybe an overarching storyline to hold players’ attention, like in the Pokémon games on other gaming systems, where players battled different characters to be the greatest Pokémon trainer of the game.

Wizards Unite will need a storyline to last more than three months. There’s plenty of material for game designers to pull from the seven books, eight movies, a spin-off movie and theme parks. J.K. Rowling created a whole world when she dreamed up Harry Potter, and fans want every chance to live in it that they can.

The fanbase for Wizards Unite is there. Now Niantic and its partners just need to make sure they hold its attention.

Nicki Zelenak is a sophomore television, radio and film major. She can be reached at nezelena@syr.edu.