SU Athletics

Top 5 moments from Syracuse’s 2017-18 school year

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

Dontae Strickland carries the ball during last October's Syracuse upset of then-No. 2 Clemson in the Carrier Dome.

There were dozens of exciting moments in SU Athletics last year, and if you’re new to SU, this is what you should catch up on.

Here are five notable moments from Syracuse sports in the 2017-18 academic year.

101517_coachbabers_toddmichalek_sp

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

Oct. 13, 2017 – Syracuse defeated then-No. 2 Clemson 27-24 inside the Carrier Dome for SU football’s biggest upset since 1984. The Orange entered the game as 24-point underdogs to the defending national champions, but against a Clemson team with an injured starting quarterback, SU held the Tigers to just more than 200 yards passing. In front of SU’s largest crowd of the season (42,475 fans) the Orange offense totaled 440 yards and three touchdowns. In the game’s final quarter, a failed Clemson fake punt ended its last possession with more than 6 minutes remaining.  On SU’s final drive, Eric Dungey sealed the upset with a third down conversion on the ground.

111817_xcknight_schlesinger_ape_07

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Nov. 18, 2017 – As a sophomore, Justyn Knight finished fourth at the national cross country championship. As a junior, he placed second. In his final attempt last November, he won. Knight also won a second national title during the indoor track season, and he graduated as one of the most decorated athletes in SU history.

113017_wbb_codieyan_sp-12-1

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Jan. 4, 2017 – Tiana Mangakahia set an ACC single-season record and an SU single-game assist record in her debut season for women’s basketball at Syracuse. In early January, against Georgia Tech at home, she lit up the court with 44 points, one point below the program record, in an 88-77 win. She shot 20-for-21 from the free-throw line. The sophomore point guard from Australia, who transferred from Hutchinson (Kansas) Community College last season, led the nation in assists with 304, and racked up 14 double-doubles.

031818_mbbvsmsu_alexandramoreo_ssp-42

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Mar. 18, 2018 – After the Orange snuck into the NCAA Tournament field, SU went on a three-game run which culminated with a 55-53 win over No. 3 seed Michigan State in the round of 32. It was the third time in five days that SU held its NCAA Tournament opponent to less than 60 points. Syracuse lost to Duke in the Sweet 16, but the win over MSU put a positive stamp on an up-and-down season for Jim Boeheim’s squad.

040118_tennis_hieunguyen_ape-12

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

April 1, 2018 – Syracuse women’s tennis upset then-No. 3 Georgia Tech, 4-3. SU picked up the doubles point with a dominant 6-2 win by Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez over the No. 1 doubles pair in the nation. Then, with Syracuse at three points and needing one to clinch the match, Knutson crushed an ace down the middle of the court and past No. 22 singles player Paige Hourigan. It was the biggest win, by ranking, in program history.