Letters to the Editor

SU needs a trustworthy outlet for sexual assault survivors

Dear Editor,

Four years ago, Syracuse University removed a designated advocacy center for sexual assault victims in order to better follow Title IX’s mandatory requirements. However, with the dissolution of the advocacy center, the loss of a safe haven for survivors followed. Sexual assault is a prominent issue on all college campuses, including SU. Having a trustworthy outlet for survivors to go to on campus is essential to a student’s health and safety, but so is an in-depth education on the harsh reality and prevention of sexual assault.

In 2015, Dartmouth announced the Moving Dartmouth Forward Plan which included a ban on hard liquor, the development of a mandatory four-year sexual violence prevention curriculum and the creation of new residential communities. Additionally, Boston College created a program called SANet — Sexual Assault Network — which helps endorse different counseling groups for victims and hosts events on campus to bring awareness to the work they are doing as a form of outreach to the community and survivors. These programs have become vital fixtures on both their campuses, helping combat sexual violence and also providing support for survivors.

SU has to make major improvements to help combat sexual assault and support survivors following the closing of the advocacy center. The Counseling Center offers some support for survivors, yet services need to be improved to prioritize these specific individuals and their needs in the face of the advocacy center’s absence.

At the moment, the Counseling Center offers an average wait time of one month before an appointment can be made and a counselor made available. Allocating more funds for the Counseling Center is a great step forward toward hiring more counselors who specialize in helping victims of sexual violence. Another improvement could include creating more options for group therapy that are readily available for survivors; currently, there is only one set time per week.

Additionally, SU could adopt programs like those seen at institutions such as Dartmouth and Boston College. This might become even more important as new Title IX changes threaten to prioritize the rights of the accused over sexual assault survivors.

SU needs help combating sexual assault on campus. Although there is no solution to this crisis, SU has a responsibility to exhaust every resource possible to lessen the severity of this epidemic.

Sincerely,

Students in ETS/WGS 192: Gender and Literary Texts, M003