Nutrition

Rockett: Going gluten-free is not the best way to lose weight

Diet regimens and fitness plans are in full swing this time of year as people try to get their “spring break bodies.” The problem with this is that too many young adults tend to cut corners trying to get optimal results in a short amount of time. Last-minute workout plans pose the same issue as crash diets, in that the diet mentality is not realistic for long-term weight management.

The sole purpose of a diet is to lose weight, rather than promote overall health and wellness. This means healthy behaviors and eating patterns aren’t established because the diet isn’t balanced or sustainable. More often than not, diets are restrictive and cut out major food groups, which is dangerous because it puts you at risk for having nutrient deficiencies and impairing your body’s ability function properly. One of these diet fads is the gluten-free diet.

The gluten-free trend has proved to be a mainstay in the diet world, along with the Atkins diet, South Beach Diet and Paleo diet. I’m here to separate fact from fiction and provide insight to who really needs to go gluten-free.

Gluten is an integral part in many foods. It is a protein found in certain grains like wheat, barley and rye. In baking, the protein gives the baked good its structure and soft, moist texture. Think of gluten as the soft and sticky pieces of melted chocolate that make a cookie more mouthwatering. Without chocolate chips, a cookie is still possible, but it usually isn’t as good. Gluten is the same way. It isn’t necessary, but without it gluten-free alternatives tend to be crumbly and dry.

Only 5 percent of Americans need to be gluten-free. But surprisingly, nearly 15 percent of North American households use gluten-free products to achieve a healthier way to live. Going gluten free will not necessarily help you lose weight, but it has other health benefits that will promote optimal health.

The 5 percent of the population that needs to be gluten-free does so because they suffer from celiac disease. Celiac disease is an inherited, autoimmune disorder in which proteins from the grains wheat, rye and barley — collectively called gluten — damage the small intestine, according to the Gluten-Free Agency. Consequently, gluten interferes with the absorption of nutrients from food and causes malnutrition. Common symptoms of celiac disease vary from person to person. Since celiac disease is genetic sometimes entire families who share the affliction experience different symptoms.

People with celiac aren’t the only ones who choose to go gluten-free. Because gluten is associated with many baked and processed carbohydrates, eating gluten-free foods is gaining attention for its broader health benefits for all consumers, according to the National Purchase Diary, a global market research company. They report 26 percent of young adults reduce or completely eliminate foods containing gluten from their diet.

Many people have now turned to the gluten-free diet trend for weight loss. But in reality, this is not the best option for everyone — this is not a one-size-fits-all diet. Similar to the Atkins diet, the gluten-free fad promotes the idea that weight loss is guaranteed by eliminating a major food group, like carbohydrates, from your diet. Everyone has unique needs that can’t be addressed through strict or standardized diets. There is no such thing as “good” food and “bad” food because everything can fit into a healthful diet with balance and moderation.

Khija Rockett is a senior nutrition major. Her column appears weekly in Pulp. She can be reached at kmrocket@syr.edu.