Nutrition

Rockett: Healthy alternatives to game day snacks

Championship games are American holidays.

And just like with other holidays, major games come with their own iconic foods. Chicken wing dip, queso dip, buffalo wings, pizza … you name it, it’s there.

If you want to indulge in some of your favorites to celebrate, that’s OK. But remember key nutrition principles like choosing different foods, not overeating any single type of food and controlling your portion size.

Or, if you’d rather revamp your typical Final Four feast, add in some of the healthier alternatives listed below:

Roasted Corn and Cheese Dip

Chips and dips are basically synonymous with game day parties. Since you’re sure to be snacking all day long, opt for this healthier option to pack in nutrients. Sautee the bell pepper, onion and garlic. In a bowl, combine this mixture with cooked roasted corn. Then add Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese and jack cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together, and bake for about 20-25 minutes. As always, serve with tortilla chips.

Ingredients:

• 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups of frozen roasted corn
  • ½ tsp of salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • ½ sweet onion, chopped
  • ½ red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ½ cup of 2% Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded or grated
  • 1/2 cup of Colby-Jack cheese, shredded or grated

Pesto and Turkey Cucumber Rolls

This is a quick and easy option. Pesto provides an alternative sauce to many of the dips loaded with dairy and fat. There’s no baking, grilling or sautéing needed for this snack. Use the cucumber as wrap, slicing it paper thin, and layer pesto and turkey on the cucumber wrap. Roll it all up and you’re done.

Superfood Salsa

The name speaks for itself, check out the recipe below — simply add everything together in a bowl, and stir. Serve with tortilla chips.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed, chopped in food processor (or mash with a knife)
  • ½ cup white or Spanish onion, chopped
  • ½ cup grape tomatoes, sliced
  • 2 tbs cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp of salt