Nutrition

Rockett: Good nutrition requires a balance of carbohydrates

Let’s be clear. Carbohydrates are not bad for you, and eliminating them from your diet or severely restricting them isn’t the key to weight loss. In fact, carbohydrates nourish us more than any other macronutrient, and we need to get most of our calories from them.

Balance and moderation are the major themes in all areas of nutrition. Nothing is bad for you, and most things can fit into a healthy diet with balance and moderation. Carbohydrates come in many different forms, and understanding which type to consume more — and less — of is what’s important.

When carbs are digested and broken down they are transformed into molecules of glucose, which is the body’s primary source of fuel for active cells. Whenever your body is awake and moving, it needs carbohydrates to power through the day.

Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the brain and red blood cells to function properly. They can be stored in the muscles and liver be used as energy and, like fiber, are also important in intestinal health and waste elimination.

Common sources of naturally occurring carbohydrates include fruits, vegetables, milk, grains and legumes (beans). Whole grains and dietary fiber from foods help protect against nutrition-related diseases like cardiovascular disease, obesity and Type 2 diabetes.

One of the most pressing issues in America is the obesity epidemic, and refined and ultra-processed carbohydrate consumption plays a role in that. While we sometimes add sugar to food ourselves, most extra glucose or added sugar comes from processed and prepared foods.

The American Heart Association has recommended Americans drastically cut back on added sugar to help slow the obesity epidemic. Research findings also state that obesity increases the risk for chronic diseases and conditions, like heart disease and high blood pressure. Processed foods high in solid fats and added sugars are cheaper than more healthy choices. Food insecurity and obesity coexist because of a need to maximize caloric intake, and food insecure populations decrease spending by changing quality and variety of food. Researchers refer to the environment we live in as obesogenic and this is highly pertinent to today’s food culture.

Researchers at the Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health at the University of São Paulo in Brazil state that ultra-processed foods are designed to appeal to our taste buds and are manufactured and marketed to replace whole foods, drinks, dishes and meals.

Some examples of ultra-processed foods include mass produced soft drinks, sweet or savory packaged snacks, packaged baked goods, chicken or fish nuggets and other reconstituted meat products, instant noodles and soups. In an interview with CBS, spokesperson Alissa Rumsey for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, said ultra-processed foods tend to be low in fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and provide a lot of calories with very few beneficial nutrients.

The Harvard School of Public Health advises people to spot all sources of added sugars, “even if they’re not listed as the first few ingredients.” This is because our bodies metabolize these added sugars in the same way, failing to distinguish between ingredients such as brown sugar and honey.

It goes on to say that the amount of sugar a particular food contains can also be indicated in relation to its position on a list, since ingredients are usually listed in descending order by weight.

Adequate carbohydrate consumption is the main ingredient to staying healthy, but not all carbs are created equal. To eat enough quality carbohydrates on a daily basis remember to emphasize great sources of fiber, like fruits and vegetables, choose whole grains, eat more legumes and limit added sugar.

Khija Rockett is a senior nutrition major. Her column appears weekly in Pulp. She can be reached at kmrocket@syr.edu.